Thursday, January 17, 2008

Nite Time

It's dark outside, but it's a winter dark. Cold, crisp and silvery. The street lights seem blue'er, the blackness of the night is deeper and the stars are vibrant and silver. Not many cars because it's late, around 1am I think. I'm thankful that you've offered to drive because I certainly wouldn't. My senses seem heightened tonight. I can feel the pavement under my feet, feel the crunching of the granules of road salt. Every sound is intensified, not louder just clearer. The entire evening is electric.

We pile into the car. Three in the back. I'm up front in the passenger seat (again,not driving). Everyone's body scents are mingling. Different perfumes, colognes, fresh soapy smells, faint musky left over alcohol smells. It sends the senses reeling. The car starts, you pull out of the parking spot and out to the roadway. I can't believe how vibrant the night is. Familiar and boring streets are now animated. Neon signs have come to life. Halo's shine around the stars and the glass store fronts are metallic.

We slice through traffic, passing some cars, not quite catching up to others. Merge right and onto the highway. Now the fun is beginning. There are conversations all around me. In the back seat the three of them are chatting about something. I can't really hear it. Up front you're talking to me and I know I'm replying to you but inside I'm just trying to behave and to speak in no nonsense non-comedic sentences. I'm attempting to not let anyone know just how much I've had to drink tonight and how hard it has hit me. Very little food, lots of alcohol, and almost no sleep makes for interesting banter. The white lights of the oncoming traffic are flying past the red tail lights of the cars in front of us. It creates a very surreal thrill ride effect, kind like the ultimate amusement park. Still, I know where we are and where we're going. Funny, I'm even able to direct you to the first drop off because the back seat is a flurry of verbal banter and they're just not paying attention. Drop off number one is done. Now it's off to stop number two. Again, I'm somehow coherent enough to give directions. We wind our way through the neighbourhood and out onto the main streets, then you know where you are again and take over with navigation. Back on the ride for me. I snuggle down a little deeper into the seat leaning back relishing the warmth of my heavy coat, feeling safe and secure and completely the enjoying the motion of the car and the momentum of the passing sights. The two in the back seat are now quietly enjoying each other, whispering, laughing softly.


This has definitely been an interesting night.

1 comment:

Angell said...

Absolutely amazing. You have to find time to write more often.